Kenmare Place outdoor dining area set to open in October

Kerry County Council Engineer David Doyle told the Killarney Borough meeting last Thursday that he expects the outdoor dining area under construction at Kenmare Place to be open to the public at from October 10 of this year.

this was described in response to a question from Cllr Brendan Cronin (independent), which led to a lengthy discussion of the Fáilte Ireland funded project.

Cllr Cronin said he was unhappy with the ‘three-and-a-half-line’ written response he received from the Council after asking when the area would open, and he and his fellow area councilors Killarney have called for more clarity on a range of issues raised by locals.

“There are a lot of rumors and worries around Killarney at the moment about the construction of this outdoor dining area,” said Cllr Cronin.

“We as elected members, in good faith, supported the planning and part 8. In May you told us that the contract for this had been put out to tender, it was going to take about three months . In August, you told us that there were delays and that it would be in September.

“The €604,000 grant from Fáilte Ireland, where are we in the budget for this…is there enough money to complete the project?”

His linebacker, Cllr Niall O’Callaghan, also called for clarification on several issues, including a breakdown of available seats for the public and adjacent businesses.

“All that was asked [by Cllr Cronin] has already been requested by members,” he added.

When responding to questions raised during the discussion, Mr. Doyle confirmed a planned opening date of October 10. He said 50% of the seats will be open to the public, with the rest going to nearby businesses that apply for licenses.

Furniture will be put away and secured on site after 10:30 p.m. each evening, and Council Enforcement Officers will be present throughout the day and monitor the area. Companies will contribute to the maintenance of the district.

He said emergency access will be maintained via an alley to the right of the International Hotel.

In response to concerns about anti-social behavior and individuals congregating in Kenmare Square late at night, Mr Doyle stressed that people could congregate in any part of the city. He said he doesn’t expect anti-social behavior to be a problem at the site, but it will be among the issues monitored during the region’s trial period until Christmas.

He said the €604,000 funding will cover the cost of the project. Funding does not cover sidewalk work at Kenmare Place, but this was requested separately through a different channel.

Comments are closed.